I want to welcome you to my new Internet project! It will be moderated by me, a published, anonymous writer. You may call me Our Novel Editor from here on in. Actually, call me whatever you wish, I don't mind.
What is this?
Good question. The purpose of this blog is to create a full-length novel written by many different authors. That's right, a complete novel written by anyone and everyone who wishes to participate.
Sounds too complicated, right?
Well, that's why I'm here. I will act as "editor" of the novel. Choosing what makes it and what doesn't. (The writers will get credit for every paragraph chosen.)
How exactly is this going to work?
1) To start, we need a novel beginning. So, right now I'm looking for entries to serve as the beginning of the novel. This is completely wide open, simply write what you feel will be a compelling or fun beginning to a novel and email it to me. email@example.com. OR just post it as a comment.
2) There are NO RESTRICTIONS regarding content in any way. If you want to write a part about the main character eating a raw possum while cursing like a 19th century prospector, then go for it. (It may not get chosen, but you are welcome to try.)
3) Try to limit submissions to 0-1000 words. (You can go over a little if need be.)
4) Once I have received a decent amount of submissions I will choose the best opening. I will post it, and we have our novel started! Then I will call for more submissions. Each time, it will become more challenging and more fun as you need to attempt to adapt to the story already in progress.
5) Periodically I will announce editing periods. Where you will edit what we already have for content, grammar, etc. I will then go through the different edits and make sure that Our Novel is as clean and neat and well written as it can be at all times.
6) If your work is chosen to be the opening or a continuation, I will email you and request a name. (It doesn't have to be a real name just yet, only the name you want the writing credited to.)
7) You may submit as many entries as you like at any time.
8) There will be NO limit to the amount of pieces you have selected to be a part of this novel.
9) This should be some of the most fun writing you ever do. Why? Well, because there is no pressure. It should be liberating, knowing that you can write whatever you want and won't have the burden of trying to explain it later. If one person gets writer's block, then there are countless others to cover for them. This could be an interesting, fascinating and original novel. But, I need as many submission as possible to make it work. Plus, in the end this is just a fun, little writing experiment, so, no worries!
10) As I said before, there are NO RESTRICTIONS for content. So have fun, write well, and start sending me openings for OUR NOVEL!
Any further questions can be emailed or posted as a comment. Oh, and tell your friends!
*IMPORTANT* Please Read the Terms and Conditions before Submitting:
1) The names of all contributors whose work is chosen to appear in the novel will be acknowledged as contributing authors.
2) All submissions will be deemed to be the acquired property of the editor of Our Novel and the blog's creator, allowing them to exercise full ownership rights in relation to the submitted contributions. Any and all rights for submissions NOT chosen to appear in the novel will be reverted back to the original author.
3) Any withdrawal requests will be honored, given that the submission has not already been chosen to appear in the finished novel.
4) In the event that the completed online text is published in hard copy print format, all contributors will be notified via email and given the opportunity to list the circumstances under which they wish to be credited.
5) In submitting a contribution, all contributors agree that editor of Our Novel possesses the sole and exclusive right to proof-read and edit, publish and reprint, distribute and sell their contributions as contained within the current collaborative text in both online, electronic, digital and other forms of reproduction and publication including films and broadcasts.
6) The copyright in all material contained within the Or Novel Blog website belongs to the editor. All rights are reserved. No part of this website, including any of the stories, may be distributed, used, adapted, reproduced, translated or copied for any commercial purpose whatsoever without written permission from the Our Novel editor.
7) All contributors agree to grant the Our Novel editor full assignment of the contributors' copyright in their submitted and selected contributions on a worldwide basis, including but not limited to electronic, digital and broadcasting rights in relation to the collaborative texts. The transferring of these copyrights to the Our Novel editor includes but is not limited to assigning sole and exclusive control and benefit in relation to all details of editing, design, production, promotion, price and terms of sale of the completed texts.